Sunday, June 3, 2012

What the heck were you thinking?

How about this scenario?
I am sitting in a meeting, relaxed and happy.  The sun is shining.  The air condition is optimized to provide 25 degrees Celsius.
All is well, until the moment I need to speak.  I am not talking about a presentation in front a classroom full of students.  This is an intimate 3 people meeting.
I start talking, and about 10 seconds into the discussion I feel my left arm starts twisting.  I am grasping the chair arm, hold it tight.  It helps control the tremor.  The tremor than spreads to the body, and gently vibrates my shoulders.
Should I mention the word Parkinson?  Should I address the question the people in the meeting do not ask?
Usually, I say nothing.  Many people know, and those who don't, most likely will ask the others, once the meeting is over.
When it comes to a large audience, usually I say "guys, you will see that I have problems with  my left hand.  It shakes and it does not move well comparing to the other hand.  They call it Parkinson.  Now, when this issue is off the table, let's start the session".

This is the first post of what I hope will be a journey.  Part of the posts will be written in English, but most posts will be in Hebrew.
My purpose in writing this blog is to present the small day to day little details that make this think called life with Parkinson.  Funny moments, sad moments and all that is in between.

SO... my first question to you is this: what would you do if you were me?  Should I present my friend Parkinson at the beginning of every meeting  where new people participate?  Should I keep my mouse shut?  What would you do?

Amir Karmin

1 comment:

  1. מתוך הנחה כי במרחב הדיון, מתקיימים ארועים נוספים, מעניינים, חשובים,... אין צורך להציג את חברך פרקינסון, אלא אם זה יאפשר לך להיות נינוח יותר, או אם להרגשך זה יאפשר לאחרים להיות פחות ׳מוסחים׳ על ידו

    ReplyDelete